How to get unstuck and get moving again!
One of the most common problems my clients encounter is the feeling of being 'stuck'.
This feeling can knock your confidence, damage your self-esteem and keep you in an unhealthy cycle of stagnation. In short, its not good!
So, what can you do in this situation? Here are 5 tips that will help you become more aware of your struggle and give you some ammunition to counter it.
1. First off, try to get to grips with what you are stuck with. Often we think it's one thing, but in reality it can be something underneath our initial feelings.
For example, you may not be getting the job you want not because you aren't able to, but possibly because you don't believe you should! The feeling of not being good enough is the driver here, and that's where you should begin to start tackling the problem - at its root.
2. What action you have taken recently to alleviate or solve your problem? If the answer is none, then ask yourself why? This is a time to be honest with yourself and stand up to the facts.
If you have taken action, what action did you take and why didn't it work? Was the action appropriate? Was it consistent enough? Are you barking up the wrong tree?
If something isn't working for you, then change it up and try a new approach.
3. Be kind to yourself. Take stock of how much you have accomplished and what it took from you to accomplish it.
A great exercise here is to look back over the last 10 years of your life. What were you doing 10 years ago? For example, what car did you drive? Where did you live? Who were you dating? Tangible examples give us concrete evidence of our progress.
You might be surprised how much you have actually moved on. Be proud of that! It will give you a boost and make you realize that 10 years from now you'll have much, much more to crow about!
Plus we can all laugh about the car we were driving 10 years ago!
4. Talk to someone. As a life coach and career counsellor in Vancouver, I have the privilege of helping out many women who want guidance and support. However, do you have a great friend who'll simply listen to you and not judge you? That could be a good start. It's good to talk!
5. Take some steps. Any steps. Do something to break your current routine. Take some time to center yourself and try something new. Maybe even revisit things you liked to do in life, but haven't for a while?
Hopefully these little hints and tips can help you get going with your quest to get unstuck!
Until next time,
Matt Turner is the owner of Seeds Coaching and Career Counselling Vancouver.
He is a Vancouver Life Coach for Professional Women and trained by The Coaches Training Institute.
He specializes working with women in career transition and helps women run their own business.
Life coaching, career coaching or relationship coaching can happen effectively face to face, or over the phone. And technology allows coaching to happen over Skype at zero cost! See how it works here.
Make that call today! Contact Matt for a free, no obligation coaching session and see how you can change your job, change your career and change your life!
See testimonials from women just like you by clicking here.